Friday, March 23, 2012

Tasting- Peter Mertes Liebfraumilch Rheinhessen Qualitatswein



Name: Peter Mertes
Variety: Liebfraumilch
Region: Rheinhessen and Palatinate
Country: Germany
Year: 2009
Price: $5.95

Wine Critic Review: "Leibfraumilch is a soft, delicate wine of the Rheinhessen and Palatinate districts. The original wine was named after the Leibfraumilch monastery in Worms, where the monks were the first
wine growers and produced an unusually pleasing wine. Wines of the Rheinhessen and Palatinate are noted for their aroma, well balanced harmony, and fragrance. Leibfraumilch, as all excellent white wines is best served chilled. We suggest serving with cold entrees, as well as poultry, such as chicken or turkey, or even with a mild Cheddar, mellow and slightly nutty with a medium consistency."

My Review: This German Riesling was my favorite wine of the tasting and one of the top wines that I have tried at the Vintage Cellar tastings. I thought the smell of the wine was crisp with hints of lighter skinned fruits such as peaches and apricots. While the Chardonnay smelled like a Moscato, the taste of the Riesling reminded me of a Moscato. A light bodied wine with hints of mint and basil were present and tasted sweet and crisp with peaches heavily present. I really enjoyed this wine so much that I ended up purchasing a bottle for $5.62 with the 10% discount and tax included. Well worth it and I highly recommend it!

This wine was not tried with food. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete