Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tasting- Copa Del Ray Merlot




Name: Copa Del Ray Merlot
Variety: Merlot
Region: Mapo Valley
Country: Chile
Year: 2008
Price: $15



Wine Critic Review: "Our wine makers worked in Chile to craft the Copa del Rey Merlot from the vineyard to the bottle. The latest New World winemaking techniques were employed to bring out the best of the Maipo Valley terroir. In the vineyard, extra hang-time allowed the grapes to reach full physiological ripeness, developing great intensity, depth and structure. In the cellar, French oak added complexity, body and flavor and our unique micro-oxygenation treatment was used to soften the tannins and create a rich, round mouth-feel. This Merlot also benefitted from the latest fining and filtration techniques which bring forth the full expression of fruit in the wine." Hahn Family Wines

My Review: I thought this wine had a very oaky smell to it and I could also tell the presence of berries and it made me think that it was going to be a smooth wine. When I tasted this particular wine I could taste the oak, dark berries, and it was very smoky. To me the merlot was a medium bodied wine. The aftertaste felt very hot on my tongue and I thought it was a very nice finish to the wine.

This wine was not tried with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment