Friday, April 6, 2012

Tasting- Varas Vinho Tinto




Name: Varas
Variety: Castelao, Tinto Roriz, Tinta Barroca, and Pinot Nior
Region: Lisbon
Country: Portugal
Year: Nonvintage
Price: $21.95 (3 Liter Box, $5.49/bottle)

Wine Critic Review: "This smooth Portuguese red is a blend of Castelão (45%), Tinta Roriz (25%), Tinta Barroca (20%) and Pinot Noir (10%). The vineyards are located near Lisbon, planted in sunny gentle slopes of clay and limestone soils. The wine was aged in oak barrels."

My Review: I was very curious to try this wine because it was the first boxed wine that I have tried at a Vintage Cellar tasting. I had high hopes that it would be very fresh because as we learned in class, this is the best way to store wine because it will keep the longest. The smell of this wine consisted of dark berries, cherries, and was oaky. In addition, I could pick up hints of earthiness, however, it was very subtle compared to the presence of oak. The taste of this wine was okay, I did not think the wine had any special characteristics to it. The wine seemed to be a light red with little flavor and no aftertaste, which I thought was odd since most red wines I have tried have something to it. A medium bodied wine which I would drink if I was looking for a wine in which I would have a glass or two after a workday.

This wine was not tried with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment