Friday, April 13, 2012

Tasting- Sierra Cruz Carmenere




Name: Sierra Cruz
Variety: Carmenere
Region: Maule Valley
Country: Chile
Year: 2009
Price: $6.95

Wine Critic Review: "As a member of the cabernet sauvignon family, carmenere (pronounced car-men-yare) originated in Bordeaux as one of the grapes permitted for use in the red blends of that storied region. Chilean
winemakers have embraced it and several wineries in that country produce it as a single varietal. The
’09 Sierra Cruz is a very pleasant, soft, mediumbodied wine that has fresh cabernet-like aromas and
flavors of spice, dark fruit and black pepper. It is a great value and also would be a nice match with
marinated and grilled skirt or flank steak."

My Review: The smell of this wine was extremely peppery to me. I was beginning to think the theme of today's tasting was that there had to be some component to it where it was overpowering. Also, I smelled dark fruits and cherries where the oak monster was slightly present here. I thought the taste of the wine consisted of plum where there was a lot of heat for an aftertaste. However, the heat was less intense with every subsequent sip. This medium bodied wine was interesting to try because I have never tried this variety before, however, I was not something I would consider purchasing.

This wine was not tried with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment