Sunday, January 29, 2012

Tasting- Nykteri Santorini Yannis



Name: Nykteri Santorini Yannis
Variety: Blend of Alforcheiro, Touriga Nacional, and Tinta Roriz
Region: Santorini Island
Country: Greece
Year: 2010
Price: $13.95

Wine Critic Review: "Comprised of three indigenous grapes from volcanic soil. Has an oaky taste and good with fish and capers. The wine is matured for a minimum of 3 months in barrels. When the wine and barrel combine, it forms a special finesse. Dominated by the aromas of jasmine, citrus fruits, flowers and pears, all these enhanced with a gentle vanilla sense. A strong body with warm personality and a long lasting taste. Serve with grilled anything and local Geek dishes such as tomato meatballs and fava dip." (Kevin, Dionysis, Vintage Cellar)

My Review: My first impression of the wine when I smelled and tasted it was that it very dry. Along with the wine gave off a tart feeling on my tongue. I could definitely detect oak in the wine and it makes sense since it is aged in the barrels for awhile. There was nothing special to me about the smell of the wine, it reminded me of a usual white wine. I was hoping the wine might have a more citrus taste to it and I was disappointed when that was not present. Not one of my favorite white wines that I have tasted.

This wine was tried without food.

No comments:

Post a Comment